“All young people
need a home, support and a springboard into independent living, learning and work.
Some don’t have it. Aberdeen Foyer helps fill the gap”.
Established in 1995, Aberdeen Foyer is a successful charitable organisation and social enterprise working to prevent and alleviate youth homelessness and unemployment. At our core we provide supported accommodation to former homeless and at risk young people alongside a range of education, training, employment support and health promotion services.
The Foyer’s approach recognises that homelessness and disadvantage is not just a matter of providing a home, but necessitates addressing the underlying causes and critically providing people with the means of gaining and sustaining employment.
The Foyer works with people to develop their talents and open up opportunities, offering engaging services to affect real and lasting change in their lives, enabling them to take the next steps towards independent living, learning and work.
View or download
Aberdeen Foyer Annual Report 09/10
A unique feature of Aberdeen Foyer’s business model is the wholly owned subsidiary company, Foyer Enterprise which encompasses:
Roadwise Driver Training
Foyer Works (property maintenance)
Foyer Catering Co.
The businesses provide valuable income to support the work of the Foyer, raise the profile of the organisation in the wider community and provide an invaluable employment and training opportunities for those with whom we work.
The Foyer now also works with children and families, along side local authorities and other agencies, to provide family based preventative services aimed at young people who need extra support and minimising the risk of future crisis situations whether at school, at home or in the community. Early intervention is key to supporting children to stay on at school to realise their potential and work towards positive and fulfilling futures.
Aberdeen Foyer provides supported tenancies for young people aged 16 – 25 across 7 sites; Aberdeen (2), Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banchory, Stonehaven and Inverurie working with up to 80 tenants at any one time.
In addition to housing support, we offer a number of services to tenants and others in the wider community including:-
- Lifeshaper – a community rehabilitation programme for those who have had drug problems
- the Drug Recovery and Rehabilitation Service (from April 2012 will be delivered with Drugs Action)
- Young Leaders’ Programme
- Learning Power Award - tenant centred learning programme
- The Prince's Trust Team – 12 week personal development programme
- Get Ready for Work – employability programme for 16-18s includes work placements
- Training for Work – employability programme for 18+ includes work placements
- The Prince’s Trust Get into Retail programme
- Peterhead Learning House and Family Learning support services
- Foyer Music - recording and rehearsal studio, live showcase events for new music and outreach workshops
- Foyer Health - achieving healthier outcomes for everyone linked to the Foyer by providing knowledge, skills and resources that empower individuals towards a healthier lifestyle
Through our existing services and new developments we will continue to respond to the needs and issues of young people and their communities in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.
Aberdeen Foyer is a Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in Scotland, No: SC184423 and a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC023655