needs a home, support and a springboard into independent living, learning and work.
Some don’t have it. Aberdeen Foyer helps fill the gap”.
Established in 1995, the Foyer is a successful charitable organisation and social enterprise working to prevent and alleviate youth homelessness and unemployment. At our core we provide supported accommodation to former homeless and at risk young people alongside a range of education, training, mentoring, counselling, employment support and health improvement services.
The Foyer’s approach recognises that homelessness and disadvantage is not just a matter of providing a home, but necessitates addressing the underlying causes and critically providing people with the means of gaining and sustaining employment.
The Foyer works with people to develop their talents and open up opportunities, offering engaging services to affect real and lasting change in their lives, enabling them to take the next steps towards independent living, learning and work.
A unique feature the Foyer’s business model is the wholly owned subsidiary company, Foyer Enterprise which encompasses the Foyer Graphics (foyergraphics.com), Roadwise Driver Training (roadwisedrivertraining.co.uk) and Foyer Works (property maintenance). The businesses provide valuable income to support the work of the Foyer, raise the profile of the organisation in the wider community and provide an invaluable employment, work experience and training opportunities for those with whom we work.
The Foyer also works with children and families, along side local authorities and other agencies, to provide family based preventative services aimed at young people who need extra support and minimising the risk of future crisis situations whether at school, at home or in the community. Foyer Futures works with young people aged 14 to 19 who are facing difficulties in their lives and have become disengaged from education (or perhaps statutory services), those who are not attaining anticipated potential and those who are not in training or employment. This is a needs led project. Utilising a practical approach and accentuating the positive, we work one to one with young people alongside their families and schools, taking time to listen, build relationships, encourage reengagement, increase attendance and maximise training opportunities
Aberdeen Foyer provides supported tenancies for young people aged 16 – 25 across 7 sites; Aberdeen (2), Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banchory, Stonehaven and Inverurie working with up to 80 tenants at any one time.
Working with partners, we offer a ‘pipeline’ of informal as well as accredited learning and training opportunities to suit people at different points of moving towards and into work.
In addition to housing support, we offer a number of services to tenants and others in the wider community including:-
- Tenant centred learning programme through City + Guilds
- Foyer Futures - early intervention for 14-19 year olds
- Lifeshaper – a community rehabilitation programme for those who have had drug and alcohol problems
- Aberdeen Rehabilitation + Recovery Service operated in conjunction with Drugs Action commissioned through the Aberdeen Alcohol + Drugs Partnership
- ARC Connections - an employability service that offers support for people who have moved on from a history of drug misuse
- Employability Support – sector based training, construction, service industries
- The Prince's Trust Team – 12 week personal development programme
- Introduction to Health and Social Care
- Aberdeenshire - Community Learning centres in Fraserburgh and Peterhead
- Foyer Music - recording and rehearsal studio, live showcase events for new music and outreach workshops
- Foyer Health - achieving healthier outcomes for everyone linked to the Foyer by providing knowledge, skills and resources that empower individuals towards a healthier lifestyle
Through our existing services and new developments we will continue to respond to the needs and issues of young people and their communities in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.
Aberdeen Foyer is a Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in Scotland, No: SC184423 and a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC023655